Have you been looking for something a little different for dinner? This Black Bean Stew is just the thing. It’s packed with protein and good carbs, is simple to make and creates an intoxicating aroma as well as incredible flavor.
Black beans have 30 grams of protein per cup which makes this stew not only a good carb load but also helps with daily protein intake. Combined with sweet potatoes, its not only healthy, but full of flavor.
And sure you could purchase canned black beans, but take that extra step and cook your own. Not only can the amount of salt be controlled but also any other added ingredients. Do this a day or two ahead to avoid a longer cook time at the stove.
The stew is simple enough to make. With just onions, sweet potatoes and cilantro there’s minimal chopping involved.
The fun is at the stove where cooking the onions, ginger and spices creates a heady aroma. I like to put my head over the stock pot and take a deep breath. Cooking is Aromatherapy!
After the initial cooking stage, its only about twenty to twenty five minutes until the stew is fully cooked and ready to serve.
Add Cashew Lime Crema and fresh chopped cilantro, and you’ve got a meal that will have your friends knocking on your door for more.
Enjoy this stew and if you like it, let me know on social media: Kitchen Shaman on Instagram and Twitter.
- 2 cups black beans, cooked
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 sweet potato, medium dice
- 1 small onion, small dice
- 1 poblano chili, small dice
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander, ground
- 1/2 tsp ginger, ground
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro, finely chopped
- Cashew Lime Crema
- Prepare the vegetables
- Heat up a stock pot
- Pour in the oil and let it get hot.
- Add the onions and poblano chili and stir.
- Once the onions are hot, lower the heat and saute until the onions are brown.
- Add in the salt, cumin, coriander, and ginger.
- Toss in the sweet potatoes.
- When the sweet potatoes take on some color, deglaze with lime juice.
- Cook a little more until the sweet potatoes soften.
- Add in the black beans and enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil then lower the heat and cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Add water if needed while cooking.
- Remove from the heat.
- Toss in the chopped cilantro.
- Serve drizzled with cashew lime crema and fresh cilantro.