Black Beans are a staple in our house. They have flavor and are so very good for you (more so then the pinto bean). Now that I have a crock pot, cooking beans requires less stove watching, leaving more time for writing, and working.
Here’s my basic Black Bean crock pot recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups Dried Black Beans
- 4 cups water
- 2-3 dried Red Chilis, stems and seeds removed
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, medium dice
- 3-4 Cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 2 tsp Coriander
- 1 tbsp Epazote
- Place all ingredients in the crock pot. Turn the crock pot on low for the first 1/2 hour, then switch to high. Let the beans cook until they are still firm, but easy to chew. This usually takes about 2 hours
- Take the beans out of the crock pot and remove the red chilis. Add salt. You can eat them anyway you like. With rice, in a burrito, or as a side dish. Take them to a festive party and watch your friends be amazed at the flavor of the black beans.
- When cooking beans in a crock pot you don't have to soak them.