April is upon us and the national food holidays certainly reflect that. This month there are many food days for vegans to celebrate along with omnivores. It is probably due to the fact that April brings with it full on spring. Lush, beautiful produce spilling out over the bins at the market.
Some of the month-long celebrations include National Soyfoods Month, National Garlic Month, National Florida Tomato Month, and National Pecan Month. We also have National BLT Month and National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month. Thanks to products like tempeh bacon and cashew or soy “cheese,” vegans can celebrate these foods with the rest of the country. And soy cheeses go hand in hand with celebrating soy foods month.
My love of garlic only makes this month better with all the garlic dishes I can come up with. Roasted garlic puree, garlic in soups, salsas, and sauces. Just garlic in everything. I’ve been known to make roasted garlic soup in the past.
National Bake Week starts on the first Monday of April, for this month that’s April 6th. This is the only celebratory week for vegans.
I find some of the daily celebrations exciting as well, like Garlic Day and National Picnic Day. Then there is National Zucchini Bread Day. Yes, as a vegan, there are recipes for zucchini bread that we can eat.
- National BLT Sandwich Month
- National Florida Tomato Month
- National Garlic Month
- National Grilled Cheese Month
- National Pecan Month
- National Soyfoods Month
- National Bake Week Begins First Monday
- National Egg Salad Week Second Week
- April 2: National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day
- April 5: National Raisin and Spice Bar Day
- April 5: National Caramel Day (you can make vegan caramel!)
- April 7: World Health Day
- April 12: Grilled Cheese Day
- April 14: National Pecan Day
- April 16: Day of the Mushroom (I cannot find what differentiates this day from National Mushroom Day, but I’m including it anyway, because, mushrooms).
- April 19: Garlic Day
- April 23: National Picnic Day
- April 25: National Zucchini Bread Day
- April 26: National Pretzel Day
- April 28: National Blueberry Pie Day: There are plenty of recipes for vegan pie crust, and some that are even gluten free. Give this one a shot, because, blueberries.
- April 30: National Raisin Day and Mr. Potato Head Day!