June is upon us and with it all the bounty of summer! There are plenty of food observances this month, but the one that tops my list is Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month. Celebrate the summer harvest all month long by buying and preparing fresh foods like blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, peas, onions, squash, and zucchini. Check our recipe page for some great ideas on what to cook with these foods. Many monthly celebrations aren’t so vegan-friendly. But it is also National Papaya month and National Iced Tea month.
Looking at the daily food observances for animal-free celebrations, June seems a little slim, but National Herbs & Spices Day might be my favorite day. I love herbs of all sorts: cilantro, parsley, dill, rosemary, sage, thyme. They bring a bright touch to any meal. Eat All Your Veggies Day? well, enough said! I always eat my veggies. The challenge? Finding new and creative ways to cook them, or dip them if you like them raw.
However you choose to celebrate food holidays, vegans & those with food allergies don’t need to feel left out. Some recipes can be converted. Like gingerbread. Here’s a great gingerbread cake recipe from Veganricha, gingerbread cake. And there are different ways to veganize the days that seem difficult. Coconut whip is a great alternative to regular whipped cream. It can be used to top any dessert, like strawberry shortcake or peaches and cream.
- National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month
- National Iced Tea Month
- National Papaya Month
- June 5: National Gingerbread Day
- June 6: National Applesauce Cake Day
- June 5: National Cucumber Day
- June 7: National Chocolate Ice Cream Day
- June 9: National Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie Day
- June 10: Herbs & Spices Day
- June 10: National Iced Tea Day
- June 12: National Peanut Butter Cookie Day
- June 13: Kitchen Klutzes of America Day
- June 14: National Strawberry Shortcake Day
- June 17: Eat All Your Veggies Day
- June 21: National Peaches and Cream Day
- June 22: National Onion Rings Day
- June 27: National Orange Blossom Day
- June 30: National Ice Cream Soda Day