This last weekend was July 4th. Classic times for barbecues and cookouts. Think of coleslaw, potato salad, burgers, family, fireworks.
But what does a vegan do when faced with mayonnaise and eggs mixed with potatoes and pickles?
They make their own potato salad, minus the dairy items. I created this recipe just in time for pre-fireworks festivities. Depending on where you live, Veganaise is available at a Whole Foods or a local Co-op. You can probably find a version of it in your local grocer. Try it out on Labor day weekend. Challenge your meat-eating friends to find the difference between it and their usual salad.
Have fun and enjoy this tasty side salad, served up with veggie burgers and tofu hot dogs.
- 4-5 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 cup Veganaise
- Pickle juice
- 2 tbsp stone ground mustard
- 4 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 pickles, chopped
- ¼ red onion, chopped
- ½ bunch of Parsley, chopped
- S & P to taste
- Bring a medium pan of water to boil, drop potatoes in and boil until tender, but not falling apart. Drain and cool.
- Whisk together Veganaise, pickle juice and mustard. Add to cooled potatoes.
- Mix in chopped pickles, onions, and parsley.
- Add S & P. Potatoes typically soak up salt, so put in a little extra.
- Take to your favorite Tailgate or Football party. Or just keep it for yourself!