Some days I’m just lazy. I want to to cook fast and easy. I keep a mix of seasonings and herbs around just for this reason. Other times I’m inventive and coax amazing flavors out of the food I’m cooking. There are those times when I’m really just trying to make the plate look pretty like I was taught. Not easy when there are hungry stomachs who just want dinner!
So the other day I got up and made tofu scramble. Pretty easy. A little chopping, then sauting, add some seasoning, add the tofu and turmeric, and there you go, scramble. Usually, I make breakfast potatoes too, with onions and peppers. I decided to make the round kind on this day. After everything was cooked, I made our plates and we sat down to eat. I was really enjoying this meal I created while staying in Kansas. So was the spouse. And then, for some unknown reason, I started putting a little of the scramble on the potato. Mind you there’s a little vegan cheese on there, so it’s a bit gooey. Then I stuck another potato on top of the scramble, then more scramble, then another potato. And took a bite.
It was like an explosion went off in my brain. Why didn’t I think of this before? Why in all the years that I’ve been making tofu scramble and potatoes did I not think of doing this?
Now, all I want to do is make more scramble and potatoes and make the stack, cover it with some vegan cheese on top and broil it in a toaster oven or a salamander (a broiler type piece of equipment we use in professional kitchens). This could be a THING! It could be a brunch thing. I don’t know, maybe the local vegan restaurant (or non) would want to put this on their menu. They should — it’s that good! The thing is, in all the years of hovering around the food blogging and photography world, I have not seen this exact kind of permutation of spuds and tofu. The closest I could find is from Cadry’s Kitchen, and it’s called a breakfast “nest” and made with hashbrowns, not whole potatoes.
So today I present to you the Kitchen Shaman’s Tofu Scramble Breakfast Potato Stack. I didn’t have a hard time naming this, it sort of named itself. Enjoy this with friends, with family, or just by yourself as a super secret indulgence.
- Kitchen Shaman's Tofu Scramble
- red Potatoes, sliced about half an inch thick
- onions, chopped medium
- cooking oil
- vegan cheddar shreds
- parsley or cilantro, chiffonade
- Prepare the Tofu Scramble
- Heat up a high sided skillet. Pour in oil to a 1 inch depth.
- When the oil is hot (350 degrees) gently add in the potatoes. Cook on each side until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy. Alternately, cook the potatoes in a deep fryer if you own one.
- Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel.
- While cooking the potatoes heat up a smaller skillet and add cooking oil. When hot, pour in the onions. Saute until translucent.
- Mix the potatoes and onions together so the potatoes take on that onion-y flavor.
- Place scramble on a piece of potato, add another potato, add more scramble, and then another potato. Make enough of these to serve four people.
- Place the vegan shreds on top and broil in an oven for a minute or two until the cheese starts melting and browns a little.
- Sprinkle on the parsley or cilantro garnish.
- Serve hot with a side of fruit, or whatever else comes to mind.