Spring is in the air (in some parts of the country), flowers are blooming, the air is getting warmer, and it’s time to look at what foods are celebrated in March.
Celery is celebrated all month long, and recently there have been reports that this undervalued vegetable has nutritive and curative properties. I’ve long enjoyed celery sticks and nut butter (it used to be peanut, but then, allergies), and dipping them in homemade hummus. Chopped celery is also a base for miraproix, a combination of chopped onions, celery and carrots that is the base of most soups in classic French cooking.
I’ve got a few favorite days in this month’s mix. I am an avid strawberry lover. Whether it be juice, jam or syrup, as well as just eating the whole fresh fruit dipped in decadent chocolate.
Cookies and waffles each have their own day this month. I might revisit one of the classic recipes stashed away in one of my family’s cookbook. I’ll update it to be vegan and gluten free with an attempt to keep the same yumminess that Grandma’s cookies had.
Even frozen foods get a nod this month. So break out those TV dinners from your favorite non-meat meal maker and enjoy these plant-based, Kitchen Shaman-approved national food observances.
- National Celery Month
- National Flour Month
- National Frozen Food Month
- National Nutrition Month
- National Noodle Month
- National Peanut Month
- National Sauce Month
- National Caffeine Awareness Month
- March 1st: National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day
- March 1st: National Fruit Compote Day
- March 6th: National Frozen Food Day
- March 10th: National Pack Your Lunch Day
- March 11th: Oatmeal-Nut Waffles Day
- March 15th: Ag Day, Celebrating Our Bountiful Food Supply
- March 16th: National Artichoke Hearts Day
- March 18th: Oatmeal Cookie Day
- March 21st: California Strawberry Day
- March 22nd: National Water Day
- March 23rd: National Chip and Dip Day
- March 25th: National Pecan Day
- March 25th: National Waffle Day
- March 26th: Make Up Your Own Holiday Day (I vote make this Tofu Day!)
- March 26th: Spinach Day
- March 28th: Something on a Stick Day
- March 31st: Oranges and Lemons Day