It’s the first of May and that brings with it, Beltane, a celebration of fertility and health. There are other wonderful celebrations that happen this time of year, but May Day is one of the oldest on-going celebrations. Along with this day, there is also food, lots and lots of food. Vegetables and fruits come forth and provide sustenance for us humans who have braved the long, cold winters, dreaming of that first taste of fresh asparagus or strawberries.
May is the month of both these foods and more. Let’s take a look at the vegan friendly versions of the month-long and week-long food holidays, then the daily celebrations. I love both of these foods and have perfected Strawberry Jam. Grilled asparagus is one of my favorite side dishes.
We are a little short in the week-long celebrations, but raisins and herbs are both celebrated. Again, more of my favorite foods! I love this month.
I see a strawberry salsa recipe in the near future. And possibly a reposting of a few more of my favorite recipes on the blog. We also seem to be short on daily food celebrations this month, but pick your own strawberry day? Or, National hummus Day. I’ll celebrate both these days!
- National Asparagus Month
- National Gazpacho Aficionado Month
- National Salad Month
- National Salsa Month
- National Strawberry Month
- National Vinegar Month
- National Barbecue Month (yes, vegans celebrate this by barbequing tofu and mushrooms, tempeh, and seitan)
- First Week of May: National Raisin Week
- First Week of May: National Herb Week
- Third Week of May: International Pickles Week
- May 4 – National Orange Juice Day
- May 4 – National Candied Orange Peel Day
- May 5 – Cinco de Mayo
- May 6 – International No Diet Day
- May 8 – National Empanada Day
- May 11 – Eat What You Want Day
- May 15 – National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day
- May 15 – National Hummus Day
- May 20 – Pick Strawberries Day
- May 21 – National Strawberries & Cream Day
- May 25 – National Brown Bag it Day
- May 27 – National Grape Popsicle Day
- May 30 – National Mint Julep Day
- May 31 – National Macaroon Day