We’ve been discussing rice over the last few posts, and this one is my all-time favorite ways to prepare rice. Cilantro has so much goodness, and lime is a healthy way to get acidic values into your body. When combined with rice, it adds a punch to any dish.
This flavor combination is popular in the southwest which is why several of the fast food chains have it on their menu. But why pay for the the cost of eating out when you can easily make this dish at home, for just pennies. Armed with a sharp knife and rudimentary knife skills, you can decimate a pile of cilantro into a chiffonade in less then five minutes. Limes are easy to squeeze, especially if you have an electric citrus juicer. I have a hand juicer, but it works really well to get all the juicy goodness out of limes. After getting these items prepared, sprinkle them into your rice and add it to a grilled veggie burrito with Smashed Black beans, or serve it with Calabacitas and refried beans. You can’t go wrong with the flavor stacked up in your favor.
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 cup rice, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Bring the water and lime juice to a boil in a sturdy sauce pan. Add a pinch of salt, and the rice.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer, cover with a tight lid and cook for 30 minutes.
- When the rice is done, add the cilantro and fluff with a fork.
- Roll up in a burrito and enjoy.