One of the staple dishes in my kitchen is Calabacitas. The recipe combines squash with chilies and peppers and is not merely delicious, it provides balanced nutrition as well.
Anytime I cook this dish, people in the house — vegan, vegetarian, or omnivore — tell me it smells so good. The flavor combination goes together naturally. And combined with coriander and cumin makes your kitchen almost edible.
You can make this dish yourself, just follow the recipe below.
- 2 tbsp Sunflower oil
- 1/2 Red pepper, medium dice
- 1/2 Green pepper
- 1 Poblano/Pasilla chili, medium dice
- 1/2 Red onion, medium dice
- 4-6 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 Mexican Gray Squash, medium dice
- 1 Chayote, medium dice
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup Roasted corn
- ½ bunch Cilantro chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat up a skillet, add the oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the peppers and onions.
- Saute until the veggies start to caramelize.Throw in the garlic.
- Turn the heat down to medium, then add the squash. Cook until the squash becomes tender but not mushy.